With the crumb topping.
Link to recipe here: http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2014/03/homemade-corn-flakes-cereal.html?spref=fb
Homemade Cornflakes Cereal
A recipe for homemade cornflakes cereal made from scratch in the oven.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 55 min
Total time: 1 hr 10 min
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and grease lightly with oil or baking spray.
- Whisk together 1 cup cornmeal, sugar, and salt. Add vanilla extract and water, a little at a time, stirring until batter is smooth and thin. If it's too dry, add additional water. You want something the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pour batter onto prepared pan and spread out evenly. (It won't reach the edges, but that's OK. You want a nice thin layer, about 1/4 - 1/3" thick.)
- Combine remaining cornmeal with 1 teaspoon of water and mix until the mixture resembles course breadcrumbs (add an additional teaspoon or 2 of water if too dry).
- Sprinkle the top of the batter in the pan with the cornmeal crumbs (this will help give it a little extra crunchy texture).
- Bake on the center rack for 10-15 minutes, keeping a close eye on it, until the dough has dried out and cracked. (You're looking for a cracked arid-desert landscape look to it).
- Remove from oven and lower heat to 250. Let pan cool, then use your hands to tear and crack the dough into small flakes. Return to oven and let bake on the center rack for about 45 minutes or until pieces are toasted, crisp, and golden.
- Let cool completely before serving with milk or as you would any cereal. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in a cool dry place.