- I planned lots of options for leftovers since I am still eating turkey (I bought a 16-lb bird and already planned to freeze a good portion of it ).With it, I've made Vietnamese style sandwiches on gf bread, turkey omelette, and turkey noodle soup. Good to have these ready.
- Need to plan to pig out on desserts. I ate 3/4 of a pumpkin pie by myself, although spread out over a few days. Thank goodness I didn't make two! My mom is diabetic and only took a few bites, which she ate with her hands -- it was so yummy she couldn't/wouldn't wait for a plate and fork.
- Look for the turkey baster BEFORE you turn the oven on. Needless to say, I only found half of it. Not helpful.
- I discovered that when the connector on the wire for the roasting thermometer is loose, the temperature can be inaccurate. Argh.
- Earth Balance margarine (soy free in my case) massaged into the bird prior to roasting adds beautiful color and texture to the skin. Almost as good as butter!
- I opened a bottle of Fre alcohol-free wine...a merlot. My mom loved it...esp since she's given up alcohol for her health. Now she can get it back!- The #GF soft rolls recipe http://bit.ly/rQNEUR. are best eaten within a day. Will let you know how they freeze.
All in all, a lovely cooking holiday. Hope yours was delicious, safe and fun!